E tū Incorporated and its subsidiaries, respects the privacy and confidentiality of members, potential members and our website visitors and is committed to protecting the members personal information. This Policy sets out how E tū will treat the members personal information.
For the purposes of applicable data protection laws, E tū is the “Data Controller” of your personal data; our Head Office address is: 7 McGregor Street, Rongotai 6022.
Reference to personal data may include any information which directly or indirectly identifies you. This may include: your name, address, contact details, date of birth, payroll number, IRD number, insurance number and bank details.
The personal data you supply to us will be held in electronic and/or manual format.
The processing of personal data by E tū will be in line with the the Privacy Act 1993.
This Policy reflects our duties to use information fairly, keep it secure, make sure it is accurate and keep it up to date.
How E tū uses a personal data of our members
General information about E tū’s use of members data
All information that E tū holds concerning member as an individual (personal data) will be held and processed in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act 1993.
We collect and hold following personal information of our members:
- Contact details, such as home address, employer address, telephone numbers and email address
- Personal details, such as date of birth, gender, occupation, race, ethnic origin and interests
- Bank account numbers, credit card numbers
We collect and may process members’ personal data for the following purposes:
- the administration and management of your membership records
- to provide you with information and updates about E tū’s activities, campaigns, benefits and services
- to notify members of changes to our services and benefits
- to determine eligibility for and administer benefits
- to conduct elections and ballots
- to access suitability for election to a committee, council or other body of E tū
- to administer all meetings (as well as meetings of any committee, delegates forum or conference within the union to which you may be elected or a delegate)
- to provide you with support, assistance, advice and/or representation in an individual or collective case
- to process your membership subscription payments
- to communicate information about training opportunities
- for equality monitoring when provided by you. The provision of equality monitoring information is not compulsory, but providing this will allow E tū to accurately monitor our membership diversity and to take appropriate action to ensure that women and migrant workers are fully represented within the union.
- to comply with legal requirements
- for promotional and marketing purposes, including communicating information about our products and services
- for other trade union related purposes, objects or activities, including those set in E tū’s Union Rules.
E tū will keep members’ personal data confidential and will take appropriate measures to protect it against loss, theft or misuse and to safeguard members privacy. By joining E tū member should understand that we may use some or all of the personal data members have provided for the above purposes. The primary basis upon which E tū process members’ personal data is it is necessary for the legitimate interests of a trade union. E tū’s legitimate interests are broadly defined in the E tū’s Union Rules.
Certain processing is also carried out because it is necessary to comply with the law, including the requirement that trade unions keep an accurate register of members’ names and addresses. Therefore, if you wish to be a member, you must provide this information to us.
E tū may contact you at your home address, by telephone, SMS or email. You can change how we communicate with you at any time by visiting the MyPage on E tū website: www.etu.nz, member login or by contacting the Union Support to do this for you.
Sharing of information
Third parties contractors
E tū shares some member information with carefully selected third parties contractors, who carry out trade union related data processing activities on E tū’s behalf, including:
- Ballot and election administration, as required by law
- Maintaining and updating membership information
- IT systems support
- Print and/or processing of authorised postal and/or electronic communications from E tū regarding the union’s objects, services, benefits, campaigns, policies or other matters relating to your membership of E tū, or as required by law
- Email/web platforms and surveys
- Operating the E tū Union Support
We have contractual, technical, organisational and security measures in place to protect members’ data.
E tū will normally also share necessary personal data with either your bank or employer, depending on the method by which you chose to pay your membership subscriptions, in order to process your subscription payments according to the payment method you consented to. This applies to your bank if you pay by direct debit or your employer if you pay by check-off. You can change your subscription payment method at any time by contacting the Membership Department.
Where members join the Labour Party as affiliated trade union members and consent to this, we will share necessary data with the Labour Party in order to verify your trade union membership.
How E tū may use members information as a visitor to the website or as a potential member
Personal data submitted on this website will only be used for the purposes (or closely related purposes) that it was collected.
We may use your personal information to:
- administer the website;
- improve your browsing experience by personalising the website;
- enable your use of the services available on the website;
- send you email notifications which you have specifically requested;
- deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website;
- for the purpose of direct marketing if you have requested information on a particular service.
In the event that you are a potential member applying for membership we will in addition process your data for the purpose of progressing your application for membership.
Any personal data provided by you on any social media or other external website or service (including any that you link to from this website) will be subject to and governed by the privacy notice and policies of the organisation that operates the relevant platform/website.
Privacy and cookies
We will collect your personal data that you give to us for the purposes (or closely related purposes) for which you give it to us. Some information is gathered when you join or sign up to receive email updates. The website generates persistent session cookies for the purpose of monitoring website usage. The cookies do not collect personal information. A cookie is a piece of information that is stored on your computer’s hard drive. It is normally sent by a web server to you and enables the server to collect information back from your site visit. You can disable them or clear them out of the web browser you are using to view this website without affecting your ability to use the website.
Statistical information and Cookies
We may collect statistical information about your visit to help us improve the website. We use Google Analytics for tracking usage of our website. This information is aggregated and non-personally identifying. It includes:
- your IP address
- the search terms you used
- the pages you accessed on our website and the links you clicked on
- the date and time you visited the website
- the referring site (if any) through which you clicked through to this website
- your operating system
- the type of web browser you use and
- other incidental matters such as screen resolution and the language setting of your browser.
The statistical information referred to above will be viewable by website administrators and certain other E tū staff. It may also be shared with other E tū stakeholders.
Storage of data
E tū will only retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which that personal information was collected and to extent permitted by applicable laws. When E tū no longer need to use personal information, E tū will remove it from its systems and records and/or take steps to anonymise it so you can no longer be identified from it.
Updating and Accessing your information
You have the right to correct the personal data we hold on you or change how we process your data/contact you. You can do this by visiting the MyPage website www. Etu.nz/member login or by contacting the Union Support to do this for you. The Union Support may require proof of your identity before being able to provide you with any personal information.
You have the right to access the personal data we have kept on record about you. If you have any questions or concerns about this Policy or would like to request access or deletion of your personal data, you can do this by contacting our Membership Department at [email protected] or by post at the following address:
E tū Incorporated
Private Bag 92645 Symond Street 1150, Auckland
E tū is committed to your data protection and upholding your data rights. If you think we have not done so, please contact [email protected].
If you are not satisfied with our response to any privacy-related concern you may have, you can contact the Privacy Commissioner:
Office of the Privacy Commissioner
PO Box 10-094
Wellington, New Zealand
Tel: +64 4 474 7590
Enquiries Line (from Auckland): 302 8655
Enquiries Line (from outside Auckland): 0800 803 909
Fax: +64 4 474 7595
Email: [email protected]
Amending this Policy